University of Stavanger in Norway invites applications for a fully funded PhD position in “Smart Technologies” at Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering.
The PhD is in the area of machine learning and deep learning for text/news mining, tracking and summarizing real-time events and social media. The goal is to develop machine learning and deep neural models for generating holistic summaries of multi-source events for smart technology applications.
The event data can be from variety sources such as news, social media as well as city monitoring sensors such as traffic, weather forecast and pollution monitoring etc. This massive-scale data is only beneficial when application-specific actionable knowledge is extracted from them. For example, summarizing people’s reactions on the topics related to search and rescue during natural disasters along with correlated traffic and weather situation may guide the emergency services in smart cities to manage the distribution of resources and supplies more effectively.
Deep Neural Networks (DNNs) have recently been very successful for performing several difficult learning tasks with high precision for applications in several domains such as computer vision, natural language processing and machine translation etc. Although, DNNs work well when large-scale labeled training data is available, their application to generate target-specific holistic event summaries has never been tried before. Using DNNs to learn from input sequences in the form of event streams to general summary sequences as output is a challenging open problem.
What we offer in a nutshell:
1. A strong research environment with supervision from experienced faculty.
2. Opportunities to collaborate and for research stays with our renowned collaborators worldwide, in Germany, Denmark and Netherlands.
3. Well-paid PhD position, in a country which has been ranked by the UN as having the highest standard of living in the world, which is known for its unique scenic beauty. Norway was also named as the world’s happiest country recently.
4. We use English for research and communication. Although opportunity to learn Norwegian language will be provided free of cost.
Suitable Background and Requirements:
1. Applicants must have a degree in Computer Science, or in a related study, with excellent results. They must also be able to demonstrate interest in scientific research. The evaluation considers many aspects of excellence, as well as the personal drive and organizational skills. The ideal candidate for the position will have strong background in distributed computing.
2. You may apply if you have not yet completed your degree, but expect to do so before the position starts.
3. Experience or publications related to any of the following areas is a bonus: Information Retrieval, text mining, machine learning.
For detailed information about the PhD position and the application process, please see: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/
Deadline for the application: 11th of November, 2017